The Saskatoon Blades are still in search of their first win of the season tonight as they welcome the Calgary Hitmen. The Blades shouldn’t have to look far for motivation as it was the Hitmen spoiling the Blades playoffs chances in the final weekend of the season last year.
For Saskatoon, they’re coming off an ugly 6-2 loss to the Medicine Hat Tigers last night. However, a strong 3rd period in which they won 2-0 should give the Blades confidence heading into tonight’s contest.
The Blades’ offense has been relatively quiet only posting two goals in each of their first two outings while going 0/5 on the man advantage. That’s expected to change this evening as Cameron Hebig is set to make his long awaited return to the lineup after missing the first two games of the season due to suspension. Hebig is expected to slot into the top line between Shmyr and Paterson, and inject a much needed jolt to the Blades’ power play.
Meanwhile the Hitmen are coming off a wild 6-5 overtime loss last night in Prince Albert. Matteo Genaro, who had 43 goals last season, scored twice last night against the Raiders bringing his season point total to five in three games. Veteran net minder Nick Schneider has started all three games so far this season for Calgary, meaning we could see rookie Matthew Armitage between the pipes tonight.
1. Cameron Hebig returns to the Blades lineup
2. Lukus MacKenzie is the program feature player tonight and will be signing autographs post-game on the concourse outside the Al Anderson’s Frozen Pond.
3. Forward Arjun Atwal is celebrating his 18th birthday today
4. Blades will be unveiling cancer fundraising details for the month of October
5. Store special is Blades jogger pants for $60 in-store only