Blades Battle Canes In Lethbridge
The Saskatoon Blades continue their three game in three night Alberta road swing as they have a battle with the Lethbridge Hurricanes tonight.
Saskatoon is coming off a 2-1 overtime win last night in Medicine Hat as Josh Nicholls was able to score two goals, including the overtime winner on the powerplay.
It was a large offensive surge in the game by the Blades, despite only scoring a pair of goals as they fired 45 pucks on the goal of Tigers keeper Tyler Bunz. He was the first star of the game as he was able to turn aside 43 of those shots and get his club one point in the standings.
Andrey Makarov stopped 23 shots in the Blades goal as they beat the Tigers for the third time in three meetings so far this season, including twice in Medicine Hat. The win for the Blades was also the sixth straight win on the road for the team as they haven’t lost away from home since November 4th in Moose Jaw.
Tonight marks the second meeting of the season between the Blades and Hurricanes and the first time that the teams have met in Lethbridge.
On November 5th, Saskatoon was able to dump the Canes 7-3 on home ice. In that game it was Adam Todd picking up his first career WHL win while the line of Michael Burns, Lukas Sutter and Jesse Paradis combined for 6 points and a +5 rating.
Tonight’s game will also mark a special occasion for Blades forward Matej Stransky as he suits up in his 100th career WHL regular season game.
The big winger from the Czech Republic is off to a solid start this year after being drafted by the Dallas Stars this past summer. He currently leads the team with 4 game winning goals and has already surpassed his point total from all of last season.
Blades Statistical Leaders
– Josh Nicholls leads the team with 19 goals and 33 points.
– Jesse Paradis and Matej Stransky lead the team with 17 assists.
– Darren Dietz leads the team with a +16 rating.
– Lukas Sutter leads the team with 70 penalty minutes.
– Lukas Sutter leads the team with 4 powerplay goals.
– Jesse Paradis and Josh Nicholls lead the team with 3 shorthanded goals.
– Matej Stransky leads the team with 4 game winning goals.
– Tonight marks game #100 in the WHL career of Matej Stransky
– Lukas Sutter is 7 points away from 50 in his career
– Ryan Olsen is 7 games away from 100 in his career
– Josh Nicholls is 7 points away from 200 in his career
Puck drop goes at 8:00 PM SK time from Lethbridge. If you can’t catch the game on WHL Live, you can tune in on the radio on 92.9 The Bull, starting with the pre-game show at 7:30 PM SK with Les Lazaruk. You can also follow the game on Twitter by following @bladeshockey.
Saskatoon Blades Hockey, It Starts Here!